I graded 56 short stories today.
A few things I’ve learned about (some) seventh graders’ stories:
1) “Songed” is the new “sang.” (uh oh)
2) If you think you are done reading about zombie apocalypses, you are wrong. There is always one more zombie apocalypse story.
3) If you think you are done reading long descriptions of a character taking out bad guys with various weapons (like M4A1 Silencers, SPAS-12s, and C4), you are also wrong. There will always be another type of gun/weapon you’ve never heard of.
4) If someone wins the lottery, naturally, their first thought will be, “I can’t wait to put this on Facebook.”
5) Justin Bieber will come up in one way or another at least once. He’s just that cute.
6) It is certain that you will laugh, grimace, smile, furrow your brow, pump your fist, wonder did I teach them anything, and think yay, they really got it, all in a day’s work.